Tuesday 31 May 2011

Lost in Translation

Ah yes I had been warned that things do with the best will in the world here 'get lost in translation'.

But myself and my translator got the location of our meeting mixed up so I hopped in the Hiace van and then utter confusion he was ringing me talking to the bus driver (while he was driving and taking cash). In the meantime everyone is staring at me as I had obviously caused this confusion and to be fair all chatting to me in Tajik/Russian (have no idea) but either way didn't understand. And I couldn't tell Saibh (translator) where I was co it all looks the bloody same. So what was a 10 min walk from my apt took over 1hour sitting in a charming Hiace van!!

Oh dear and then incident number two (this all in the same day).

I met the people I will be working with (really really lovely and very open and enthusastic) and after they invited me swimming on Sunday. So I explained that I was told you couldn't swim.............and then confusion again. Poor Saibh was mortified cos they were trying to explain the sort of 'hidden rules' around swimming which is not something generally men/woman discuss. So to be honest still not sure what story is but to be sure will go prepared – e.g. Clothed as I really don't want to offend anyone.


Oh I've posted this picture of a woman I saw. I was curious and asked my Tajik friend why she was wearing a coat in such warm weather. Turns out there was a death in the family and she has to wear a coat and winter shoes for 40 days and blue/black clothing for one year. Somehow I suspect she was cursing her 'mother in law'








Wedding: 
I was in my apt Sunday when I heard all this music and drums banging. There is apparantly a banquet hall around the corner and came accross this wedding (see picture below). Of course in my haste to find out what was going on I forgot to change of of my apt clothing (shorts and sleevless top) and only realised when I noticed the staring was way more pronunced than normal. To be fair it was a bit of a 'faux pas' on my part and not something I will be doing again.




'Vegetarian Status'

Now I know I'm harping on about my newly required 'vegetarian' status but dear god how do veggies cope. Between that and two hot plates and really really struggling to come up with some edible dinners. An example tonight for dinner I had rice and corn. Omg veggies food is soooo boring. But I may be wrong so if anyone has any ideas pls pls email!!!! Oh and before all you veggies hop on the bandwagon please remember have only been a 'vegetarian' now for two weeks so work with me on this!!

Going Native

So yes with my Tajik friends I bought some local material to get 2 local dresses made for me. Thank god was with someone cos what I was picking I was told was for older people, or people in mourning. But me buying the material caused great merriment to the stall holders. There was poking and staring and general amazement that this cloth would be seen in Ireland. Unfortunately did not have the heart to explain that there would be no chance of me wearing them in Dublin. Oh and getting my hair cut short – if only cos its a pain in this heat and my head scarf will fit better with short hair!!

So that's it folks from me to you goodnight!!!

Laineyxx

PS only joking about the head scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment