Friday 20 May 2011

Whats happened in my first week...........

Hi Guys,

Mad busy week this is my first chance to update as access is very limited and only here in the VSO office. Wow what a week I had......between training, Tajik lessons, etc. Oh as Gaeilge nil chead agaim caint about anseo so I will be doing this in emails.

So what's great about about Tajikistan.....

1) Bread omg its amazing i have never eaten so much white bread in my life - trying to cut down now!!
2) Buses that wait for you and only cost 10 cents
3)Weather 37 when we arrived cooler today only 30 am sure will be moaning when it reaches 45 - 50
4) Locals so freindly especially when you make an effort to talk the local greeting is Asaloma and you put you right hand over your heart and tilt your head!!
5) The lads in VSO there brillant showing us around helping us get organised etc.
6) Shared taxi concepts they basically follow the  main bus/tram routes you hop in give them 50 cent and say stop when you want to get out.
7) Loads more but don't have time to run through


So what is different??
1) Well I'm drinking black coffee
2) had a cup of green tea yesterday for first time in 30 years was offered one and its kinda rude to refuse but actually was nice so I'm now a 'tea drinker'  there you go cc!!
3) Vegetarian - yes never thought I would say it but me thinks I will be one for the next six months (no explanations necessary)
4) now getting used to the whole concept of water - tap/filtered/bottled what you can use for teeth food etc. I forgot the 2nd night and used tap water. Thankfully wasn't sick - mind you having talked to so many people here its only a matter of time before I am!!
5) Cook dinner for 5 people on a double stove - possible with a bit of organisation!!
6) Local beer can't remember name but v. nice!!


So Dunshanbe is a lovely city big mouments and decent restaurants and  the volunteer house is great. No a/c but the houses are really cool on the inside. The lads I met in course and plane are great its nice to be all in the same boat!! Its lovely sitting out the courtyard in the late evening catching up with everyone.

so out tonight for dinner to a Georgian Restaurant and tomorrow its the 'house harriers' I was invited and declined as it involves running. But when it was pointed out that you can walk and there are beers and the end I was in!!

off to Khujand on Tuesday to start my placement - can't wait but very nervous too.

I probably won't have net access now until next week - it takes a while to organise here!!

Take care everyone and c'mon Leinster (orla don't forget to text me the result)

Laineyxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment