Saturday 4 June 2011

Sleepless in Khujand......................

Hi Folks,

Well I've yet to have an uninterrupted night’s sleep here in Khujand and it is not the bugs etc but damn animals. Right outside my bedroom window is a big green area that a local fella cultivates and every night most nights I have the pleasure of:

Dogs – Omg barking like mad I rarely see them during the day they must sleep all day and make up for it during the night

Cats – Ah yes I now fully understand the meaning of 'cat fight' not every night mind you but the first time I literally jumped out of the bed. Honestly is sounded a screaming banshee. Although I've never actually heard a screaming banshee but you know what I mean.

Cows – Are they having a laugh I mean don't animals sleep at night???

Roosters – I saved the best for last. When I first heard the 'cock a doodle doo' I looked at my watching assuming it was dawn but no its 3am. But I thought oh that’s kinda cute. After hearing this most nights 2/3 times I honestly want to go down and strangle the little bugger. (apologies to all animal lovers on this one). I know I am a city girl but how do people in the country sleep – am hoping I will get used to this. Even been deaf in one ear doesn't work!!!

Food Shopping

Khujand has the biggest 'bazaar' in Tajikistan and honestly it’s a great experience. The place is huge, outdoors and just so many stalls and they all seem to sell the same stuff (see picture below). My Kajik friend brought me around to introduce me to her favourite stall holders. The meat stall is 'unique' the animal is killed 'halal' style and sold on the day. So they have big slabs of meat that they just cut up and sell there and then. The ground/mince meat is in a big cardboard box that he just picks up and weighs for selling. I just couldn't bring myself to buy any – it’s daft but so different to what I'm used to and I have my doubts about the whole hygiene element!!

There is a whole element of bartering as well – it’s part of the system you haggle and get a few cents of the price. My Tajik is not quite up to haggling yet so I just give them what they ask for. They only sell foods that are season so right now plenty of tomatoes and cherries!!




Mini Meltdown

Yes had one the other night. Was just sitting down to tuck into fried spuds and eggs when I realised that I had cooked the spuds using the tap water aaahhhh!! You have to use the filtered water for everything and tap water for washing basically. God I was tormented starving and faced with a dilemma eat my dinner or risk been sick?? So the food was chucked and it was peanut butter sandwich for dinner. Lesson learnt though will never do that again. Of the four of us that travelled 2 have already been quite sick so I reckon it is only a matter of time before I am too!!

Local Customs

I have organised a new local translator – Nosa. Actually I can't even spell/pronunce her Tajik name so she told me to call her this. So she was telling me about her life. She is 21 got married @ 19yrs. It was an arranged marriage and she never even met the guy before. As is custom here she lives with her in laws. They have one bedroom with TV and they share everything else. She will probably live there most of her life. The husband is an 'only son' and she has an 'interesting' relationship with her Mother in Law. Something I think that perhaps is not unique to Khujand???



Dinner with Tajik Family

Another Tajik friend invited me to dinner tonight night and I’ve attached a photo of her lovely kids and a neighbour. Names are Sabina, Sabrina, Neeza and the little fella (so cute) is Shukira. I know I have completed misspelt their names but that’s how I pronounce them. The little fella as is custom here had all his hair shaven off when he was one – they were trying to explain to my why but it ‘it lost in translation’ They love when I come over as its very amusing for the kids to try and teach me Tajik. I think it’s great I learn loads when I’m with them.




Dinner was lovely – they love their nuts, apricots, cherries, bread and sweets here. And I was served one of the national dishes here. Its minced lamb with rice wrapped in cabbage. Now I’ll be honest it’s a bit of an acquired taste. But I reckon in six months I’ll have cracked it.

So that’s my life in Khujand!!

So from me to you good nite and I hope everyone has a great weekend.

PS: All my friends here expats and locals were roaring laughing when I was explained the concept of the ‘Irish heat wave’. 2/3 days of consecutive sunshine with temperatures of 25 degrees. Omg would I love 25 degrees right now!!

PPS: Paula I trust the punctuation is satisfactory??

No comments:

Post a Comment