Wednesday 29 June 2011

Ladies and Gentleman................................

Welcome to Tajik airlines – please observe/note the following:


1). You cannot book tickets more than 5 days in advance. This is because we change our schedule weekly if not daily and we enjoy the frustration this may cause our passengers trying to plan a trip.
2). Our prices remain the exact same regardless if  you book 5 days of 5 mins in advance of departure.
3). If the plane is overbooked this is not a problem for Tajik airlines. We just request that passengers squeeze over and the 3rd passenger can sit on the edge of the seat.
4). There are no toilet facilities – we are not Ryanair
5). If you missed the safety statement – there wasn’t one.
6) Please note the emergency exit door. You simply negotiate the luggage and passengers on the aisle. Make your way to the front of the plane. Climb over the luggage there. Note the large man who looks like Kojak. Just ask him to get up to allow you exit the plane. Of course if you are looking for the emergency exit whilst in flight there is a high probability that this is simply a hopeless cause.
7) We don’t fly to Europe – for some reason the aviation authorities will not allow this. This has something to do with ‘poor plane maintenance’. We dispute this. 

Thank you for flying with Tajik airlines and we look forward to seeing you again on another Tajik Airlines flight. (We are the only internal airline in Tajikistan, so there is a high chance we will see you again)


Camping Trip in Iskandar Kul (Alexander’s the Great’s Lake).

For you history buffs out there this is where legend has it that Alexander the great came with his missus - Roxanna).

Oh folks this was at times the best/worst experience so far in Tajikistan.

The road trip was fine until we arrived at a local infamous tunnel that we had been warned about. Omg 20 minutes of terror. Windows closed due to pollution. The brief occasions I did open my eyes was scary. No lights cars driving all over the place to avoid huge holes and massive floods.

About an hour before getting there the road changed to what I can only describe as a sheer mountain road again with massive holes and flooding. Actually the way back was terrifying as we were on the lake side and my imagination went into overdrive thinking of what might happen!!!

But man was it worth it. The lake and mountains were just extraordinary the sheer scale and beauty my poor camera couldn’t do it justice. Went swimming in the glacier lake – the mountains surrounding it still have snow on them. I lasted for about 5mins, the first couple I could barely breathe it was so cold. It felt great mind you after drying off very exhilarating. The best thing was the weather it was lovely and cool and at night I even had to wear a fleece!!




 My apologies my picture does not do it justice!!




Sat night we (all 10 of us) were invited to a traditional ’osh’ dinner by a group of very distinguished Tajik men. It was fabulous cooked in the traditional way over a fire stove. Of course there was no electricity so I gave their head guy my head lamp. This endeared him to me for life and we bonded big time. It was amazing, the traditional way of eating osh is you share a plate and use your fingers. Now bearing in mind it’s a kinda sloppy rice dish and you might get an appreciation of just how difficult this is. Honestly it takes a while to master so I resorted to a spoon!!

We took a 1hr hike to a local waterfall – spectacular you literally are on top of it and great views. And there were lovely wetlands around the river. All in all a really enjoyable trip but……………….

Yes omg the toilets (hole in ground) – no detail required but suffice to say I had to fashion a DIY face mask. I literally thought I would get sick. It was so bad that when it got dark I reverted to my natural surroundings – trust me a lot more pleasant!!!


Pamirs

Hoping to fly there Friday fingers crossed. It depends on the weather, has to be very clear and availability. The plane only seats 17 and they reserve 2 for VIP’s. However I have warned about this flight particularly if you are of a nervous disposition. It literally flies very very close to the mountains at a low level. My friend Jan who flew here for our training advised that on her flight up people were getting sick and it’s only a 30min flight!! And naturally there are no sick bags. So folks me thinks I will be bringing a little plastic bag just in case!!


So hope your all well from Dushanbe to Dublin good night!!

Lainey xx

No comments:

Post a Comment