Sunday 10 July 2011

Its all about the pictures folks............


Sorry folks my camera does not do the Pamirs justice but to give you a flavour!!

This is the 'car' I travelled in for 3 hrs, two of which were on 'roads' like this. Actually this photo was where we got stuck the rocks are so big it was difficult to get traction. At this stage we hadn't seen a car for 1hr and were stuck for 45mins. Between the two of us we got big flat rocks to try and get past. Thank god we did no phones etc in this area. The poor fella was looking at me as I had to stop to put sun cream on - its so strong up high in the mountains.



This is my guides family - they kindly invited me in for a cup of 'choi'. Folks I have never seen such poverty in my life. In this area they are lucky to survive on approx $50 a month. They are so poor and yet so incredibly kind and generous. They produced bread and biscuits and sweets for me - I only ate a small amount cos I could see the younger children (not in photo) staring at the food. The smell is overwhelming washing/showering etc is not high on their agenda. Surviving daily is the main aim particularly in winter when they are completely isolated.






This is the eldest child of the family I stayed with - cooking dinner on the 'outdoor oven'. They survive on bread and potato's. As I was a guest I got a special potato soup with onion and carrots.





Rush hour in Khugor - luv this photo cows wandering around the streets!!


Well this is the toilet of the family I stayed with. No paper/water and any other sanitation e.g. showers etc. Not exactly sure of the significance of the two toilets - is one male/female or for number 1/2??. To be honest didn't care just wanted to get it over - not exactly private.




This is what happens when you meet trucks bringing food/goods to Khugor. This photo doesn't do the road justice. This was actually a 'good section' of it.



So back to work tomorrow after a brillant week off. I will be busy but hoping to take some more time of in September depending on work load.

It was so good to get back to Khujand - I honestly felt like I was coming home. To give you a sense of how great the locals are: I got chatting to a fella waiting for my bag at the airport and he kindly offered me a lift home. Turns out he lives around the corner from me!! So have an invite to 'choi' during the week.

Take care everyone.

From me to y'all goodnite!!

Lainey xx

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Aidan from downstairs here. I heard about your blog on the Laburnam grapevine.

    Anyway, it's great to read about your time there & I'm glad you are getting on well although, frankly, I don't think I could cope with some of the depravations myself.

    Loking forward to reading some more of your blog entries. Take care!

    Aidan

    ReplyDelete