Sunday 16 October 2011

Well when I first arrived in T – I met four fellow VSO volunteers. All of us are living in different locations here in T. We promised to visit each other before leaving. So this week I had Jan from the Pamir region visiting me here in K. Together we travelled to Penjikent to visit another VSO volunteer.

Penjikent is situated in the north west of T, about 5 hours by car from Khujand. It’s a lovely town close to Uzbekistan – and again I thought the locals here look so different to the locals in K.

Car Trip
Getting there is an experience. You travel by shared taxi. You go to a designated spot in K and basically haggle for a car and then wait until there are four passengers.

Of course I was told to get an older drive, no stuff on the roof and check the tyres. All good but of course I have no idea about the quality of the engine and if it would last the journey.

I was stuck in the back with two local women and of course BO was an issue. Which is tough when you are travelling on dusty roads (see picture below).  I literally spent 2hrs frantically putting the window up/down whenever I could. Even though it’s October it was a very hot day and well the smell was at times overpowering.



What is Penjikent known for?

Sarazm – Beginning of the World

This is one the oldest known settlement in Central Asia, over 5000 years old. And well I love archaeology and just loved this place. Fortunately at the time there was a French team of archaeologists on site. God it was so interesting talking to them. The team leader has worked on and off for nearly 20 years on this site. I could have spent hours talking to him – such an interesting man with an incredible passion for this area.

He explained and outlined to us the site and its history – it is considered to be the cradle of civilization of Tajik people. I was literally blown away it’s hard to capture on camera as well it looks like a bunch of stones. But trust me folks this is a designated UNICEF World Heritage site for a reason.




Ancient Penjikent
Is located above P with great views and was a well organised city up until the 8th century. When the auld Arabs came along and burnt and buried it.  You can make out the foundations of the original temples and bazaar.   



Town Mayor's House

When in P we stayed with a friend who lives in the former Town Mayor's house. This house for me actually sums up T. There was a massive bathroom with Jacuzzi, Sauna and a very fancy toilet. Folks not one of them worked. There was however a very posh out door toilet!!



Creepy Crawlies:
So I have survived the summer and all the peculiar insects I was even bitten last night by mosquitos.  Its 16/11/11 but the weather is still lovely and warm which would explain it. But now have to cope with huge fecking spiders. Found 3 in the last week but thankfully someone has been around to do the necessary. They are massive things and well you know me and my insect allergy. It’s a little ‘oh Jesus Christ’ and a few other choice words and then someone comes to my rescue.

As always from me to y’all good night!!!

Lainey xxx

PS: Well I just found out I am apparently not a ‘native English speaker’. Jeff had some documents to proof read and said he would get me to do them. But he was told to get someone else as Elaine is ‘not a native English speaker’. God I was killed laughing. I promptly explained that while I am Irish, English is my native language.

PPS: Just had to include this picture. When in P in came across a recently married young lady. She wears this dress every day for a month after the marriage.  It’s a traditional Uzbekistan dress – Penjkent and that region are populated by a lot of Uzbekistan’s and they have retained a lot of their traditions.

It took me ages to coax a smile out of her – but think it’s a great picture!!



No comments:

Post a Comment